Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Taco Dilemma

I had the most amazing weekend. I got to spend it with my friends and my family but it took a toll on me. For 16 weeks I've done nothing but eat sleep and drink healthy and worked out. Even on my off days I've done pretty well. This weekend we joined a good friend of mine for her birthday. Dinner and dancing... Why not?! Sounds like a great idea plus by dancing I'll be able to burn those extra calories off. Well fast forward to today. It took everything in my being to get on that elliptical and pump through 45 minutes on a level that I am very much use too. But I didn't stop, I kept going trying very hard not to look at the time I had remaining. I'm focused on the tv to get my mind of how bad I'm sucking on this machine. Where the hell is my drive?! And then in that moment a Taco bell commercial appears on the screen. "Oh my! Tacos"!!! They looked so good! I see that I've burned a pretty good amount of calories already so really one taco from Taco bell won't hurt, right?! I snap myself out of this taco haze... What the hell was I doing?! I've worked this hard and the one thing I can see after this workout is a freaking taco?!? But I really really want a taco bad!

Finally done with my cardio and drooling over yet another Taco Bell commercial I decide that I will have my tacos but a cleaner and healthier version. To the store I head, on a mission, a taco mission!

I'm standing in front of dozens of tortilla options and start pondering "soft or crunchy taco... CRUNCHY"! Not only does H-E-B have their corn tortillas on sale, but they are only 80 calories a piece versus 120 for flour tortillas. I head to the meat department and of course I get the ground turkey. Red meat & I don't get along whats-so-ever so I always choose white meat instead. Now you can't have tacos with bland meat so I head to the instant seasoning in a package. Wait? Whoa? What? Pre-packaged seasoning, that's not very clean? Don't fret y'all, I just scoped out the seasoning that were in the package. Most of them I already had at home except the oregano and paprika. You can't have tacos without cheese, so I get the 2% Mexican shredded cheese. These tacos were much much better than Taco Bell and fewer calories.

Taco Seasoning:
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon black pepper

You can probably add salt to this recipe but I don't use salt so that's why it's not up there.

Turn a muffin pan upside down and place your tortilla shells in-between to slat to form a taco or a taco bowl. Heat the oven to 350 and cook or about 15 minutes.

Brown your turkey, make sure there is no pink left. Add about 1 cup of water and the seasoning. Stir together and let simmer til sauce thickens.

Now I also sautéed some bell peppers and onion because I love the flavor. Time to assemble your tacos! I also added a little salsa on top of mine. For tacos like mine, the caloric intake is about 195 calories. Just remember if you add more condiments, add those calories to it! My tacos 195 calories, a supreme taco from Taco Bell 220 calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment